Week 1: Introduction
- Aug 24: Orientation. Download the Art 24 Greensheet.
- Aug 26: Gesture drawing in journal. Materials: Journal (8x10 drawing pad), all pencils, sharpies or similar pens
- Homework: View all images in the Gesture section of this site (Click twice on artist images for full resolution). Purchase materials.
- Reading: 8. Kimon Nicolaides, The Natural Way to Draw.
Week 2: Gesture
- Aug 30: Gesture Drawing. Materials: Drawing board, newsprint pad, all pencils, sharpener, all erasers, journal, rag or small cloth.
- Sept 2: Blind Contour / Contour Line. Materials: drawing board, newsprint pad, drawing paper (large pad), journal, all pencils, sharpener, all erasers.
- Homework: Contour drawing - your Foot - on Bristol. Due with portfolio 1; View all images in the Contour sections of this site. (Click twice on artist images for full resolution.)
Week 3: Contour
- Sept 7: Labor Day Holiday
- Sept 9: Lecture 1-Gesture, Contour; Cross Contour. Materials: drawing board, bristol pad, journal, all pencils, sharpener and eraser
Week 4: Line Exercises
- Sept 14: Sequential Line Exercises, Loops. Materials: drawing board, drawing paper, bristol pad, all pencils, sharpener, plastic eraser
- Sept 16: Belt and Rope. Materials: drawing paper, vine charcoal, all pencils, sharpener, plastic eraser
- Homework: Cross contour drawing - your Hand - on Bristol. Due with portfolio 1
- Reading: 7. D'Amelio. Perspective, pp. 33-37 (on ellipse)
Week 5: Ellipse
- Sept 21: Line Networks, Hat. Materials: Bristol pad, vine charcoal, all pencils, sharpener, erasers.
- Sept 23: Ellipse-Flowerpot in pastel. Materials: drawing board, drawing paper, newsprint pad, vine charcoal, pastels, erasers and tape
- Homework: Prepare for critique next week
- Sept 28: Lecture 2-Elipse, Pen&Ink, Ingres, Goya; CRITIQUE, Portfolio 1
- Sept 30: We will visit Goya: Disasters of War in the Thompson Gallery downstairs to copy from the work. Materials: Bristol pad, pencils, eraser.
- Homework: Copy a drawing or painting by Ingres. (See here for links to some of his work). Pencil on Bristol. Use the correct proportions - crop with tape.
Week 7: Pen & Ink
- Oct 5: Out sick
- Oct 7: Stippling. Materials: drawing board, pen holder and #513EF nib, ink, bristol board, pencils, erasers and tape; We will also prep for cross-hatch and rendering drawings.
- Homework: Finish Ingres copy
Week 8: Rendering Light
- Oct 12: Pen & ink cross-hatch - still life. Materials: drawing board, bristol board, pen holder and #513EF nib, vine charcoal, erasers, drafting tape
- Oct 14: Rendering Light - sphere. Materials: drawing board, bristol board, all pencils, sharpener, erasers, drafting tape
- Reading: 7. D'Amelio. Perspective (finish this reading)
- Oct 19: Lecture-Linear perspective, Drawing from the photo; Critique,Portfolio 2.
- Oct 21: One Point Perspective - hallway. Materials: drawing board, Drawing paper, pencils, eraser, 24" ruler
- Homework: Photo Shoot - self-portrait. Also, please look at the images in the Perspective section of this site. Click on images to view full size.
Week 10: Perspective
- Oct 26: Two Point Perspective. Materials: drawing board, Drawing paper, Newsprint (2 sheets), all pencils, erasers, 24" rule, tape
- Oct 28: Multiple Perspectives and Rendering Light. Materials: Bristol, newsprint, all pencils, erasers, long ruler, tape, and a large textbook (for prop); PHOTOS CHECKED for Grid Self-portrait.
- Homework: Print self-portrait photos. Bring two 4x6" identical prints Monday.
Week 11: Grid Self-Portrait
- Nov 2: Grid Self-Portrait. Materials: drawing board, drawing paper, tracing paper, vine charcoal, compressed charcoal, soft pastels (different colors), ruler, tape, micro-tip sharpie, scissors, and two identical printed self-portrait photos. Students MUST have printed photos today - 4x6"
- Nov 4: Grid Self-Portrait
- Homework: Plan your museum visit for the Museum Assignment
- Nov 9: Grid Self-Portrait - continued; Individual meetings
- Nov 11: Holiday
- Homework: Museum Assignment, due with Portfolio 3
- Nov 16: Lecture: portrait, tone, brush & ink; Critique - Portfolio 3.
- Nov 18: Tone (eraser drawing). Materials: drawing paper, compressed charcoal (soft), chamois, kneeded eraser, tracing paper, drafting tape, "L" frame. Note: this is a long still life.
Week 14: Portraits / Charcoal & Ink Wash
- Nov 23: Portrait studies in charcoal. Materials: drawing paper, compressed charcoal, vine charcoal, pastel, erasers, tracing paper
- Nov 25: Ink Wash - Flowers. Materials: caligraphy brush, ink, newsprint pad, drawing pad, drawing board, water container, tape, vine charcoal.
- Homework: Self portrait from mirror - charcoal, on drawing paper
- Nov 30: Ink wash - Portraits. Materials: caligraphy brush, ink, newsprint pad, drawing pad, drawing board, water container, tape, vine charcoal.
- Dec 2: Critique - Portfolio 4; Lecture: Mark-making
Week 16: Mix Media
- Dec 7: Mark-making, mix-media. Materials: drawing paper, all leftover media